Monday, August 2, 2010

It's beautiful when Nature and I connect.

I was in pain, so I ran.
I put my headphones in my ears and made a playlist of my favorite songs so I wouldn't have to change them.
I walked down the road to the small entryway to the forest behind our subdivision. I slipped in alone and bolted through the path.
"It must have been awhile since someone has been here" I thought as I brushed away another spiderweb that I had run into.
The path shrank and became uneven. The dirt became less packed and more muddy. I was growing tired and my footing was unsure so I slowed to a walk.
The path became a dried up stream with small banks on either side. Sometimes I walked through the middle, and sometimes I used the banks.
The dried stream became a flowing one and I was forced to abandon my course for a slightly trod path through the trees.
This path ended up crossing the now full stream, and I had no intention of wading through, so I jumped. Hooray for being young and springy.
The path on the other side became less and less obvious as I continued, eventually becoming so closed in I had to duck through.
Strangely, the path cleared and opened up immediately after. Seeing a clearing not far away, I started running again and soon emerged into a field. Right near me was what looked like something wooden surrounded by thick plants and thorns. I walked around this odd clump and found a relatively easy entrance. The wooden structure was revealed to be a destroyed house, with wood rotting and the metal roof rusting beneath my feet.
I exited the enclosure and got a better look at the field I had walked into.
It guessed it to be mostly tobacco, but I wasn't sure. I saw a hill not far away so I walked through the unplanted parts to reach the top.
I was amazed at the butterflies and birds that flew over my head, not seeming to mind my presence. I disturbed some insects in the low foliage at my feet with each step, but they simply hopped or flew to another area nearby.
I reached the summit and looked back. It was gorgeous. The day was overcast, showing a light grey sky with a few different shades here and there.
The landscape was hilly, covered in squares of crops with green lines between them. Scattered throughout were strange clumps of trees and vines that stuck out because of their size, and seemed to serve no purpose but fit the scene perfectly. Surrounding the garden was a dense and full forest, covered in green but with some brown, yellow, and red poking out.
"This," I thought, "Is an amazing sight. Better than many tourist spots."
I knew I was on property that was not my own, so I looked for just a little longer before heading back to the forest. I had not been in the forest long before a dragonfly flew by too quickly to see clearly. It landed on a leaf near me and watched me. I paused to look at it, and it seemed to look at me too. We remained this way for ten seconds or so, and the dragonfly decided he had other things to do. I realized I did to, and continued my journey home.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely imagery and so articulate Calvin. I am so blessed to know you and be able to read your thoughts!!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete