Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Surreal

First posted on Help.com, I thought this was a rather nice writing of mine, so I decided to repost it here.

Seven minutes after midnight I close my laptop, and thunder sounds. In an instant my brain realizes how much wasted time has been spent. Now that the video games, TV, and computer are turned off, and my imagination is in control, I’m back in real life. Sensation seems so new. The infinite world of drama, possibilities, mistakes, pleasures, pictures, words, and information unknown are swept away by my immediate surroundings. This can’t be healthy. It’s almost like drugs or alcohol: mindless entertainment meant to be forgotten. What was that funny saying? How does that cute kitten do anything for me? I’m glad I completed that level, even though i’m restarting the game next week anyways.
I’m sad to reflect and find that this shadow of life has become my life. My existence is spent avoiding itself entirely. In this moment of clarity I find myself wishing to be alone in this. Unfortunately, I do believe my hope is in vain. I fear that many, if not most, are trapped in illusion of one form or another. As we let fantasy become more important than reality, our reality dulls and fades. Each forced step back into real life becomes less and less pleasant as the real world falls apart. I don’t want to live this way. I don’t want to wake up in reality one day and wonder how it became so lifeless. This is a cry for help. This is a call to action. This is a question waiting to be answered. Why is everything so surreal?

2 comments:

  1. Because we all actually live in the matrix.

    Mind. Blown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete