Saturday, March 2, 2013

That Someone

I like to pride myself thinking that if someone were to need someone to talk to who wouldn't judge or be offended, I could be that comforting unbiased person.

But I'm not really sure.
Would I really be okay if they told me I was annoying?  Could I start lying to them because I want to sugarcoat things for them, when they've been so kind as to share what they're really feeling with me? Could I handle things well if they told me they liked me? Would I respond well to them telling me they think I'm attractive? What if they tell me they think I'm ugly?  What if they wanted to do something I thought was dangerous and stupid? Could I support them? Would I really be okay with someone else's conflicting ideas and desires?  Even if they completely contradicted my own?
Am I supposed to contradict them at some times? When? How? Am I supposed to fix the problem, or just listen to it told?  Repeatedly? Every day? What about when they change their mind? And change it back? Am I supposed to always agree with whatever they currently think? Does that make me a liar? Or does it make me unstable? Should I make decisions for them? Is that too pushy? Should I let them make all the decisions on their own? Is that unhelpful? Am I being extremist? Is there a middle ground that still allows me to be that someone?


Maybe I shouldn't try to be one.
In which case, I probably shouldn't hope to find one either.

No comments:

Post a Comment