Sunday, April 7, 2013

Constant Change

The only constant is change.

A strange but true statement.  It's funny how much we're scared of things happening.  Especially at the college age there are so many happening to fear.  Relationships?  Job? Career? House? School?
The funny thing is that we've been told over and over again that these happenings really don't matter.  The initial high/low is real as real can be, but even large events like winning the lottery or becoming paraplegic have little if any effect on our overall happiness. Evidence here.
So within this paradox, we can always be assured that these events that make us so anxious before will have a small impact on how we feel after.  Additionally, we will likely make the "best choice" regarding said events when we are level-headed enough to think things through, instead of letting our worry push us to act rashly.

On a similar note, the constancy of change means that any immediate deviation from our normal mood is temporary. The exhilaration you enjoy at any given moment will fade faster than you want.  The depths of despair will kick you out soon enough.  Given this knowledge, we can always guess what's happening next.

"I'm so happy.  This has been an absolutely fantastic birthday."
"..."
"Something is likely going to go wrong soon.  Oh well, no use dwelling on something I can't predict."

A few days later

"I don't think I've ever felt quite this much pain all at once.  It's interesting because I've never had any feeling that is close to this one.  It's a different kind of pain, but it hurts so very bad and I just want it to stop.  I have to wait.  It'll be okay.  It will.  I'll be fine."

Lo and behold, some time and a bit of complaining later, and I'm on the mend.  I coulda guessed it.  I did.  For anybody else reading this, it helps.  It doesn't mitigate any of the agony, but it helps in keeping me from doing drastic things, which is really all that I can hope for in the unhappy moments.  And it doesn't make the happy times any worse knowing that they won't last, so it works pretty well.
Just a thought.


P.S. My dad got me 50$ to itunes for my birthday.  I love music so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment