Thursday, April 25, 2013

Unfathomable

Have you ever thought about how incomprehensible someone else is?
So many memories and experiences.  A lifetime so big they can't even remember it themselves.  How they were raised.  Regrets they had. Assumptions they didn't even know were there, and the moments when they found out they were wrong.

I like stories from people.  Sometimes, people talk to me and I realize just how much I don't understand them.  I don't understand anything.  Not only do I not know the feelings they go through, I don't know how they think.  How they see.  I have no clue how their mental perception patterns function. I want them to be happy, because I know I hate being sad.  And I also get sad when people don't like me, but people like me when I want them to be happy.  Win-win.  No depth.  I don't know what happy means for them.  I don't know pain either.  I have my emotions and I've tagged them with words that mirror the word choice used for other people's similar situation.  Awkward. Angry.  Ashamed.

Maybe we're lucky.  Maybe we do all see blue the same.  Maybe our emotions are as in sync as we expect them to be.  But even then, I've found in the last little bit that I am capable of emotions that I didn't know existed.  Me, the buildup of years, with only a slight change in circumstance, can find something new.  How new, then, would be the plethora of feelings that are experienced day by day, and year by year, by someone who is different than me?  And as everyone is unique, everyone is different from me.

The magnitude of my potential lack of understanding is overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment